Monday, November 3, 2008

Groups

A group is defined in this chapter as a small number of people who share similar interests or common problems and convene regularly and engage in activities to achieve objectives. There are two types of social work groups: treatment groups and task groups. The subtypes of treatment groups are support groups, educational groups, growth groups, therapy groups, and socialization groups. The subtypes of task groups are client needs, organizational needs, and community needs.

Because I have never been involved in a treatment group setting, this week's reading is the most exposure I have had to the concept. Unfortunately, my internship does not have these types of opportunities for me to shadow. However, because I work at a foster care agency, the youths in our program each have their own treatment team, or task group, which meets as a task group once per month. These treatment teams often consist of the county social worker, the case manager, the foster parents, any family members who are specified and allowed to participate, possibly a school board member, and the child. Task groups are organized to meet client, organizational, and community needs. Instead of focusing on member growth and achievement, these types of groups focus on developing policies and making decisions. The treatment team meets once per month for the purpose of coordinating ideas and efforts to benefit a particular client, in this case, the child. Task groups begin much like treatment groups, as they start with introductions of the members, identifying the purpose, discussing rules and decision making methods, setting goals, and identifying possible obstacles.

Although I have yet to be included in a group meeting of any kind, this reading taught me what to expect when the time comes. I feel prepared and eager to try engaging in group work at my internship and in my future as a social worker. After reading the different options, I believe that I would prefer to participate in leading a treatment group, specifically a support or growth group.

No comments: